Friday, February 17, 2012

A post from my brother in and friend in Christ Anthony

Hi George, nice seeing you today too. Hey man, lately I've been pretty confused in my life over the issue of repentance. I understand that to be saved, one must repent of their sins and trust in Jesus, but now I honestly don't know if i really repented by the definition of the Bible. I know you told me that repenting means to make an effort to not sin again, but reading 1 Corinthians 6:9 and 2 Corinthians 7:10 where it talks about how worldly sorrow leads to death, makes me wonder if i really have turned away from sin as God defines it. If i really have repented by God's definition, then I dont understand why i still give into anger, pride, and especially lust. I have also heard that true repentance isn't feeling guilty from sinning just cuz I want to avoid the consequences of sin, but rather sorrow because sin is an offense to God. And for me, I find it hard to comprehend why sin is actually a direct offense to God. I mean, i have the head knowledge and know that it obviously is, but i doubt that i truly understand deep down... otherwise i wouldn't be doing the things i'm doing. 

I'm just wondering, what goes on in your mind whenever you are tempted or just how do you avoid sin in general? When and how did you first come to the point of true repentance? I know you talk to me about spreading the gospel alot and all, and i think thats great, but even though i share the faith with others, I'm still confused where i stand with God and if I'm really saved myself. I read this article on what it really means to repent. check it out and tell me what you think:

http://cog-ff.com/Library/html/When%20You%20Sin%20Do%20You%20REALLY%20Repent.html

. Is this sort of understanding not something I can acquire, unless God gives it to me. And if only God can give me understanding, how do I ask him for it, because surely i have asked for a while. If you have any answers, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks bro

No comments:

Post a Comment